Analyse John Rawls’s concept of social justice in the Indian context. (Civil Services Examination 2016)
John Rawls’s concept of social justice advocates to take a decision through the veil of ignorance. Veil of ignorance means to imagine ourselves in a situation where one is unaware of one’s position in term of caste, religion, gender etc. and then take decisions. The concept here is that when we don’t know our position then it is more likely that we make rational decisions for the collective benefit of society. This concept in India context finds the following applications
- Reservation IssueThat whether demand some high castes to get a reservation is valid or not. we can also look at any amendment in present reservation policy according to it.
- Environment to maintain the balance between biodiversity and development. For example an increase in the area of eco-sensitive zones.
- Economy issues like increase in FDI, monetary policy or even present demonetization issue can be examined though spectrum Rawls’concept.
- traditions: we can also examine and introspect various traditional practices and customs like jallikattu, entry of women in certain temples or religious places etc..
- Others Similarly other issues like defence expenditure, progressive taxation, foreign policy with different nations, censorship need examination from this point of view.
Overall,john rawls through his veil of ignoarance providence us an opportunity to solve various issues in impartial and rational way.it has the potential to increase the transparency in system through proper efforts.Time is rights that we take aid of his theory and come at appropriate solution on different ongoing issues.
corruption causes misuse of government treasury, administrative inefficiancy and obstruction in the path of national development” Discuss Kautilya’s views. (Civil Services Examination 2016)
- Kautilya was one of the foremost political thinkers of the world.he had a very pragmatic view on various issue including dealing with the menace of corruption.According to him,government servant is like a fish in the water.he saysit would be difficult to know,whether government servant in charge of any department is missusing his position or not.
- According to kautilya a person’s lust or greed for money would make him to compramise his integrirty and therby increasing his administrative ineffeciancy.this reduces the collection of revenue to the state treasury due to misappropriation of funds that acts as a hindrance for the state to put aside the finance for ntional developmment.this caution of kautilya is valid even today.transparency and ease of doing business index ranks india very low because of precalling corruption.corruption has become core lubricant to run government machinaries.
Kautilya also gave following measures to fight corruption among government servant
- Strict adhernce to law and reduce discretionary power.
- To prevent and control corrupt practices,laws should be followed strictly
- Continuous supervision and regular scrutinity of work of public employees.
- Continuous transfer of officials among various department.
- Whistle blowing i.e..one with information of corruption should have direct contact with king-ruler.
Modern administrators need to take kautilya’s views and suggestion on corruption laws are based on suggestion given by kautilys.